Memories


You never know how much support you have until you face something completely unexpected and see all the people that have been a part of your life step up with support. I always knew I had a great group of caring and supportive group of friends and family, however I am very thankful for them during this difficult time. I think one of my friends put it best when she refers to our friends as "good people"; you truly are "good people". Last night at the wake and funeral it was great to see all the friends and family gather to celebrate my father's life, remember good times, and support each other. It is amazing to see the group of "good people" that have become a part of my life in the last 33 years.


It was also nice to hear the different stories and memories that people had of my dad and brother from years past. Most remember some injury or another that my dad had incurred: kneeling on a razor blade, slipping in the driveway, falling down the stairs, cutting his finger, screwdriver through his hand or his allergy to some medication that resulted in a swollen face. Many people remembered how my dad would knock you over to get the wrapping paper off the present in his effort to clean up the trash at Christmas. We joked today when people were wearing jeans that dad would have been in jeans and a bloody sweatshirt from his recent injury. Others remembered how he would spend hours/months perfecting the model train board in the basement, only to rip it down and start over. One shared how he remembered my dad coming to a horse show to see me ride, while my dad explained "I had to see what I was paying for". All remembered how he saved EVERTHING, aunt Judi said she asked for a watch with a second hand once and he went down to the basement and returned with 6! Some fortunate or unfortunate people (depending on how you look at it) remember him and Gary Weber (long time family friend) shooting fireworks at each other yelling "catch". Dad always joked "July 5th is for apologizing to the neighbors.

The funeral home put together a website with all the photos from the funeral so you can take a look at those if you would like.

http://www.mem.com/ContentDisplay.aspx?ID=18015503

I am sure over the years we will have many more memories and thoughts about my dad. Right know we are thinking that things we lost long ago really are not lost, he put them somewhere. Thank you for sharing all your good memories, showing support for the family and just being "good people". We appreciate it.


Gerald "Jerry" Mayer, age 62, at rest December 5, 2009. Beloved husband of Beverly nee Bradfield. Loving father of Sara Mayer and the late Michael Mayer. Dear son of the late Virginia Moore Spears and the late Donald Mayer. Fond brother of Barbara (Tom) Collins, Richard ( Jude) Mayer and the late Donald ( Barbara ) Mayer. Uncle to several nieces and nephews. Gerald also leaves in his memory other loving family and friends including, Judi Bradfield and Gary and Barbara Weber. Visitation Tuesday 3-8 pm. Funeral service Tuesday 7:00 pm at Chapel Hill Gardens West Funeral Home ( 1 block West of Rt. 83 ), Oakbrook Terrace, IL Interment private. In lieu of flowers, memorials to Leukemia & Lymphoma society would be appreciated. website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/dm/pfchangs10/smayerpzqq Funeral Inquiries : 630-941-5860



 The Eternal Goodness
I know not what the future hath of a marvel or surprise,
Assured alone that life and death
His mercy underlies.

And if my heart and flesh are weak
To bear an untried pain,
The bruised reed He will not break;
but stregthen and sustain.

And so, beside the silent sea,
I wait for muffled oar;
No harm from Him can come to me
On ocean or on shore.

I know not where His islands lift
Their fronded palms in air;
I only know I cannot drift
Beyond His love and care.

~J.G. Whittier

Comments

  1. Sara,

    Take much comfort in knowing how much your Dad loved you and how much he knew you loved him. You truly made him proud and honored to have you as his daughter. How fortunate for all of us that we found each other. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment