July 8th...Frozen in time

July 8 every year is the day that stops me dead in my tracks. It's like I'm frozen, paralyzed and can't move forward. It's the feeling in my gut of dread and pain. It's a strange thing actually, I don't need to look at a calendar to know it's July 8th, I feel it in every fiber of my body. 

I remember very vividly;  his smile and his personality and his laugh. Jokes he liked to make, the pranks he pulled on people, and his kind and warm heart. I also remember very vividly, his end. I remember seeing him for the first time with a bald head, frail body and broken spirit. I remember thinking, he's scared to death. 

I'll never get out of my head the memory of the late night phone call with my mom told me Mike didn't make it. I can still hear my scream today and see myself falling to the floor. I was frozen, paralyzed and it stopped me dead in my tracks.

I can feel the emotion, pain and suffering from the funeral like it was yesterday. Other days it seems so long since I heard his voice. 

Nothing has changed in 17 years for my family, July 8 continues to be the day that everything is frozen in time.

160 people today, July 8th, will die because of blood cancer. Thousands of family and friends will become frozen and July 8th will also become the day they dread and feel in every fiber of their body. 

It's time to do something,  stand up to cancer, and rid the world of the terrible disease. Nothing can change July 8th for me or my family, but together we can stop the cycle. 

Will you help me find a cure for Blood cancer? We need to fund the research to find a cure. 

Join me in Phoenix for the Light The Night event or donate to find a cure! 

http://pages.lightthenight.org/az/Phoenix17/SMayer

"Approximately every 9 minutes, someone in the US dies from a blood cancer. This statistic represents approximately 160 people each day or more than six people every hour. Leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma are expected to cause the deaths of an estimated 58,300 people in the US in 2017." Leukemia & Lymphoma Society 


Comments