Holy #&@*! I'm 40

Family & Friends:
Last month, I turned 40, ugg. This was not something I was looking forward to. There are so many things in my life that I am grateful for, proud of, learned from and experienced. Last year, I created my vision board for the year and included some amazing things that would make my 40th year exciting. The best experiences I have learned take time to prepare for and accomplish. In my 40th year, I have big plans. I am pleased to announce them with this post!

New family member adventures
Many of you know, last October I became a Foster parent to Tabatha a 16 year old girl. She has settled in nicely and is adored by Reagan the stray dog I took in years ago. This year is her final year in high school and she has her sights set on College. We will tour the state of Arizona this fall picking out the perfect school!

New Adventures 

My sites were set on Valley Leadership Class #38 and the Phoenix Suns Charities 88.  I am pleased to announce my selection for both! Each year, approximately 50 class members are selected for the nine-month program, and the 2016-17 class of the Leadership Institute marks the 38th year of the program. Valley Leadership curates each Leadership Institute cohort through a robust selection and matching process that builds a diverse group primed to deepen their passions and advance their pursuits…together. I could not be more excited to learn and grow with this program.

Next, Suns Charities 88, presented by Wells Fargo, was created in 2012 to offer a platform for energized business professionals across the Phoenix Metroplex to network amongst their peers. This powerful group comprised of 88 professionals, work collectively to give back to our community through the philanthropic power of the Phoenix Suns Charities. The combined efforts of Suns Charities 88’s members creates a forum for networking, personal development, philanthropic and fundraising opportunities that simultaneously creates a community minded, connected workforce across the Valley. Another exciting opportunity to learn, grow and make an impact!  

New Career
Many of you know 16 years ago July 8th, my world was crushed. My brother had been battling Leukemia since November of 1999. He was young only 20, healthy and ready for a fight. Things seemed to be going well, then rocky. He had two bone marrow transplants and the second was successful. He was told he could be going home soon. Then everything changed... When I got the call that literally had me on my knees screaming. It's a call that I know my mom will never forget making and I will never forget receiving. My brother had lost his battle with Leukemia due to complications with the treatment. Years later, just weeks ago, my dear friend Brandi was diagnosed with Leukemia. I am sick and tired of people I know getting Blood Cancer, it has to stop. We must find a cure!


I am not one to sit around and do nothing, so for 16 years I have been trying to do as much as I can to stand up to Leukemia and find a cure. I won’t stop until we find a cure! Over the years, friends also have frequently asked me "what can I do?”. Well I have a list of things I have done for the last 16 years on my webpage: http://tinyurl.com/CureforBloodCancer. I have taken the biggest step this year and changed careers! The opportunity came about just before Brandi was diagnosed, divine intervention maybe? I am pleased to announce, I joined the staff at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as the Director of Operations for the Arizona, Utah, Southern Nevada and New Mexico Chapters. My new position has proven to be challenging, rewarding and fulfilling. Taking action is the only way I know how to help and cope. I would be honored if you supported my Team in Training efforts at http://pages.teamintraining.org/az/lavatri17/SMayer for my 40th birthday. My goal is to raise $10,000 this year! Since May, I have raised over $6700!  Let’s get to $10,000!

Celebrating & Embracing 40!
For my 40th I celebrated in Vegas with my bff Josh, then my Junior League Ladies hosted a brunch for me and I splurged on new headshots. 40’s not so bad! I am a firm believer that if you put goals to paper they are achieved! My 40th year will be a year of crushing goals!
Love you all, please consider supporting me this year so we can stop blood cancer! Cheers to 40!


Sara C. Mayer

Comments

  1. So excited to watch your journey! Big, big things ahead! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment