The Night Before A Marathon with Team In Training


WOW, do you beleive this is my eighth marathon with Team In Training? Raised over $25,000 since 2000. However, I wish I was sitting here typing that a cure was found and people will no longer need to suffer with blood cancer.  Wouldn't that be nice? But our work is not finished, so we press on. 


On my first event, Disney in 2005, I started some traditions that have continued before each run. The night before, I am always excited and do a few things. Especially when I know I am going to run an event with someone who has never gone the distance (26.2 miles).  I love to watch the newbies cross the finish line for the first time.  The night before, I write in my journal typically about the training, laughs and people along the way. 

Then I write out a note to my brother that I carry with me on the race. Something to remind me why I am pushing my body to the limits. 

I listen to my coaches, so I put out my race gear the night before. Then I double check everything.

The last thing I do I take a bath to relax my mind and body.  This is when I go over the race and my strategy. 

I can't describe how it feels to complete the distance and finish. It is the most powerful feeling I have felt.  But knowing that my brother is watching and will push me if I need it, makes the experience so rewarding. Now I will have both my dad and brother to make proud. I wish they could be at the event, but I know I will feel them every step of the way. I miss them both, can't believe they are gone.

This one is for you!  Now on to my check list.

Comments