16 years ago July 8th, my world was crushed. My brother had been battling Leukemia since November of 1999. The doctors told us it would be a long battle and we should continue with our life plans. He was young only 20, healthy and ready for a fight. Things seemed to be going well, then rocky. He had two bone marrow transplants and the second was successful. He was told he could be going home soon. The last time he went home he said he could not stop looking at the trees and how beautiful things were.

Then everything changed... When I got the call that literally had me on my knees screaming. It's a call that I know my mom will never forget making and I will never forget receiving. My brother had lost his battle with Leukemia due to complications with the treatment. That day also happened to be my dad's birthday, a day supposed to be for celebration. However, it will never be a day of celebration again.

When people lose a sibling my heart aches for them. I wish I could tell them that things get better over time, but it just does not. In reality it's just different. He was the person I called when I was annoyed with my parents (sorry Beverly Bradfield Mayer and Gerald Mayer), he was the one that I listened to Piano Man to on repeat for about 6 hours straight, he was the one that made me laugh with his crazy hours of video taping (all in selfie mode, he would have loved the selfie) and he was my best friend.

Years later, just weeks ago, my dear friend Brandi was diagnosed with Leukemia. I had yet another call I will never forget. I was completely shocked, we just ran a 10K and ½ marathon together, and she is active and healthy. I never would have thought this could happen. She will have a very different treatment plan (thank God), however this plan involves 3 years of chemo.
I am sick and tired of people I know getting Blood Cancer, it has to stop. We must find a cure!
I am not one to sit around a do nothing, so for 16 years I have been trying to do as much as I can to stand up to Leukemia and find a cure. I won’t stop until we find a cure! Over the years, friends also have frequently asked me "what can I do?”. Well here is what I have done and will continue to do until no one else has to battle blood cancer.

1) Research to find a cure takes $ - you can donate
- I choose to participate in team in training, and have raised over $50,000 over the years
2) Patients need blood - you can donate blood
3) Patients need Platelets - you can donate platelets
4) Patients need bone marrow donors - go to bethematch.org
5) Show your support for Leukemia Patients and walk in their honor at the Light the Night walk http://www.lightthenight.org/az/localchapter/3062734/
6) Patients need your support and encouragement during treatment – share your encouraging thoughts and prayers with them.

Taking action is the only way I know how to help and cope. If you choose to support my Team in Training efforts here is the page. http://pages.teamintraining.org/az/lvrnr16/smayer
Please choose to do something! Thank you for standing up to blood cancer, it truly matters.

Comments